Monday, May 23, 2011

Eat. Live. Be. I'm back


Wow, it has been quite awhile since my last post!  Life has been crazy, hectic, and on the verge of out of control for the past month, but things are finally starting to fall back into place...more on that later.

This week's ELB topic is quite appropriate, we are talking about how we have changed this up in the past 5 months.  This is super easy for me because a few weeks ago I made the decision (with your support) to run the Chicago marathon!  That has completely changed how I workout.  I am running more often and longer distances. I have also started the P90X program...sort of.  My husband and his friend are doing it pretty hardcore.  I do what I can (or feel like) after I run each day.  I always do the ab workouts and the upper body workouts, but often substitute the P90X cardio workouts for long runs.  Oh yeah, the Yoga X, although crazy, has added another aspect of exercise to my life that I often skip.  
All of these changes have kept me from getting bored with exercise, kept me motivated, and I am finally starting to feel my body get into better shape. Now if only I can SEE those results as well (I use to have nice muscular calves that I loved to show off with spring dresses, I'm hoping they will emerge again during my training :)

Anyway, those are my changes and what is new in my life. I will definitely be sharing my training with all of you and the ups and downs that come with it.  My husband and I have successfully moved to Illinois (Northern burbs of Chicago) and we just love it here.  There is an awesome park close by that is a gorgeous spot to run.  It is on my list of things most missed when I have to move back to WV for 5 weeks. Hopefully, I can find a good safe place to run while I am there (I won't be anywhere near my hometown, so there is a lot of unknown).

Since it's ELB day, I thought I would share a healthy recipe with you that I fixed last night for dinner.
  

Sauteed Chicken with Tomato, Feta, and Mint

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp of olive oil
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts slightly flattened with a meat tenderizer. 
flour for dredging
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups of cherry tomatoes, halved
3 cloves garlic, minced
Tbsp water
1/2 -3/4 cup feta cheese
5-6 min leaves thinly sliced

Directions:
1. Add oil to saute pan and heat until smoking.  While oil is heating season chicken with salt and pepper and dredge in flour. When skillet is ready, place saute chicken on medium high for 6-8 minutes until nice and golden brown, turn chicken and reduce heat to medium. Cook several more minutes until cooked through. 
2. While chicken is cooking, add garlic tomatoes and water to a small skillet on medium heat. Cook stirring often until tomatoes are soft.  Add mixtures to chicken, once chicken is done cooking.  Sprinkle dish with feta and mint and serve!

This is a super easy recipe, full of flavor and very healthy. 

Nutritional Information (per serving including olives):
calories 340
Fat 13g
Sat Fat 2.5g
Cholesterol 150mg
Carb 11g
Protein 42g
Fiber 1g
Sodium 650mg

Cook's Notes:
* You can also add 1/2 cup of kalamata olives if you'd like. I just don't care for them so I omitted. If you do wish to use olives, add them to the skillet with the tomatoes and follow directions as usual. 

Source:

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the move, and welcome back! Hope all is well with your settling in. Sounds like you have been pretty busy with the workouts too. How long before the marathon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely healthy dinner recipe! Best of luck with the Chicago marathon!

    ReplyDelete