Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Spanakopita


A few weeks ago, my friend Tami and I went to Pittsburgh's strip district to enjoy a morning of culinary flavor.  We visited several stores, of my favorites were the butcher, the italian market, and the greek market.  The Cheeses, the aromas, it was amazing! And, it inspired me to try some greek cuisine of my own.  I opted to go with gyros and spanakopita.
I had never worked with filo dough before and Tami cautioned me to keep the filo covered with a wet towel at ALL times (thanks Tami!). My filo was a little sparse on the spinach (I just used leftover from another recipe) so yours should have more filling than what is shown here.
I looked at several different spanakopita recipes, there are dozens! I finally decided on one from the food network.
If you have made spanakopita before I would love if you shared your experiences, what works for you and what doesn't


Ingredients:
1/3 cup olive oil
2 pounds spinach, washed and drained
1 bunch scallions, white and green parts, chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 pound feta cheese, crumbled
1 to 2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
1 pound filo pastry sheets

Directions
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saute pan, add half of the spinach and saute until spinach wilts, tossing with tongs, about 2 minutes. Remove spinach and squeeze out excess liquid, then chop roughly. Repeat with remaining spinach, using 1 more tablespoon of olive oil.
2. Pour off any liquid from the pan, and add remaining olive oil. Add scallions and saute until soft, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the spinach to the scallions, along with the parsley, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat for 1 to 2 minutes, then remove from heat to cool. (This part can be done ahead and kept refrigerated).
3. Stir the feta and as much beaten egg to moisten the cooled spinach mixture.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Brush a baking sheet with some of the melted butter. Unroll the filo dough on a flat surface and keep it covered with waxed paper and a damp towel so it doesn't dry out and become brittle. Use a pastry brush to brush a sheet of filo with melted butter. Layer several layers of brushed filo (I think I did 8). Then, spread half the spinach mixture onto filo. Add several more brushed layers, remaining spinach mix and then 4-6 more layers of filo. Fold the ends of the filo under
5. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Cut into squares or triangles and Serve hot. 


Adapted from: Food Network

2 comments:

  1. This is a delicious dish and you inspire me to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ive had this before and its so yummy- thanks for sharing the recipe i am definitely going to try it out

    ReplyDelete