Monday, April 4, 2011

Eat. Live. Be. Fruits and Veggies

Recipe: Risotto with Fennel and Radicchio

This week, ELB bloggers are sharing tips, tricks, and recipes to help get your daily recommended amount of fruits and veggies. I love fruit..veggies are pretty good too, but I am always trying to find ways to sneak them in because seriously, who has time to prepare all those side dishes, snacks, etc. to get so many servings in every single day. So this is what I do

1. I prep snack bags of fruits/veggies at the beginning of the week that way I just have to throw them in my bag in the morning. This way I don't have to take time out of my mornings to clean and prepare a healthy snack
2. fruit smoothies are the easiest way I can think of to pack in a ton of fruits in little time. Again, I add everything but the milk the night before and throw it in the refrigerator that way it only takes 60 seconds to prepare a morning treat
3. I try to find ways to "sneak" veggies into dishes that aren't traditionally heavy on the veggies. That's what the recipe below does and the result is AMAZING!

Ingredients:
1 onion, minced
1 fennel bulb, chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp minced fresh thyme
1-1/2cup farro (I couldn't find farro anywhere in morgantown so I used arborio)
2 c low sodium chicken broth
1-1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp fresh parsley
1 tsp basalmic vinegar
1/2 head thinly sliced radicchio

Directions
1. Combine onion, fennel, oil, and 1/4 tsp salt in a large saucepan. Cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until veggies are softened (10ish minutes)
2. Stir in garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant (30s)
3. Stir in farro (or arborio) and cook until lightly toasted, about two minutes. Stir in broth and water and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and continue to simmer, stirring often, until farro (or arborio) is tender, 20-25 minutes.
3. Stir in parsley, balsamic vinegar, and radicchio. and serve*

Nutritional Info per 3/4 cup
Calories: 270
Fat: 5g
Saturate fat: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Carbs: 54g
Protein: 9g
Fiber: 8g
Sodium: 390mg
Cook's Notes:
* Allow the risotto to cool slightly before adding radicchio or else it will wilt and brown. It will still taste fine but it won't be as sharp and it won't have that same crunch.
 I also added some toasted sunflower seeds for an added crunch.

Don't forget to check out my fellow ELB bloggers today

Sarah at Cucina Bella
Cate O’Malley at Sweet Nicks
Maris at In Good Taste
Chris at Mele Cotte
Faith at Bon Appetit
Kristen at Dine and Dish
Jenne at stop drop and blog 
Tri-Fit Mom at Tri-Fit Mom
Allison at Sweet Flours
Jen at NJ Epicurean
Jennifer at Lick-a-Plate
Jennifer Schulz at Lick-a-plate
Denise & Lenny at Chez Us


Source:

2 comments:

  1. I really need to be more prepared about having fruit and veggie snacks ready to go at a moment's notice! I love this risotto recipe! Super veggieful but still super delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! When I prep ahead of time, it really helps. And I love your risotto recipe. YUM!

    ReplyDelete