Friday, April 1, 2011

Asparagus, healthy and delicious

Photo by Meg McCluskey
I will not lie...I do NOT like asparagus! I mean, it's not like asparagus has ever done anything to me, I don't hate the stuff, but I will often pass it by without so much as a glance when I'm in the produce section of our grocery store (although, I recently noticed they have started stocking white asparagus and I am intrigued).
BUT..I try to be a diverse cook and sometimes that means cooking things you don't necessarily like or attempting to turn something "blah" into something "oh la la!"
So, I was very excited to try a new healthy asparagus recipe (is there any other type of asparagus recipe) from my Cook's Illustrated Healthy Family Cookbook.
Try it out, let me know what you think!
PS: Where you aware that asparagus makes your urine (aka pee) smell, but only ~22% of the population can actually smell the foul odor?  crazy! What? You don't believe me? This is science...google it! Then facebook it and tweet it :-P

Vinaigrette:
1/4 cup gratd paremeason heese
1 shallot minced
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp EVOO
1 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
salt and pepper to taste

Asparagus
2 bunches asparagus tough ends trimmed
1Tbsp EVOO
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
Photo by Meg McCluskey
Directions
1. For the vinaigrette combine the parmesan, shallot, lemon juice, oil, and parsley in a bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. for the asparagus position an oven rack 6 inches from the broiler element and heat the broiler. Toss the asparagus with the oil salt and pepper and arrange in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Broil asparagus until tender ad lightly browned (6 to 10 minutes) shaking the pan halfway through to turn spears.
3. Transfer the asparagus to a platter, spoon the dressing over the top, and serve.

nutritional info
calories: 90
fat: 5g
saturated Fat: 1g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Carbs: 7g
Protein: 4g
Fiber: 3g
Sodium: 130mg

Source:

No comments:

Post a Comment