Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Irish Grilled Cheese



Today is day 1 of an all-things-Irish food trilogy. I discovered this delicious recipe last year when I hosted a St. Patrick's day party, they were a huge hit, and I mean huge.  I still have a classmate who occasionally reminds me of their deliciousness (and requests a repeat performance of course). When you read the recipe, one glaring ingredient catches your eye...pickles!  You are just going to have to take a leap of faith here and trust me, I won't let you down! 
The pickle along with the delicious flavor of the irish cheese are just out of this world delicious. The only thing I would change in the future is a substitution of regular bread for a good hearty Irish bread (unfortunately that is not easy to come by in WV, maybe next year). 



Ingredients:
6 Tbsp, softened butter

2 Tbsp. Parsley

2 Tbsp. Scallions

2 Tbsp. Chives

8 Slices white bread

8 slices of Irish cheddar cheese (whatever brand you prefer)

8 Bread and butter pickles (sandwich slices)
Directions
Chop parsley, scallions, and chives, and add them to the 6 Tbsp. of butter. Spread the mixture on 4 slices white bread. Place bread, butter side down, on warmed skillet. Top each piece of bread with 2 slices of both Irish cheddar cheese and bread and butter pickles. Spread butter on 4 remaining bread slices and place (butter side up) on top of sandwiches. If desired (I normally omit), spread the remaining herb butter on the warm sandwiches. Slice into quarters, then press the cut sides in more chopped herbs (normally omit as well, no one likes parsley in their teeth!)
Now, stop by your local grocery store on your way home from work and grab a delicious Irish cheese, channel your inner leprechaun and enjoy!



Sneak peak for tomorrow....

Cook's Notes: I normally use Kerrygold Dubliner cheese and ask the deli to slice it for me. It is a huge time saver! 
Source: foodnetwork

1 comment:

  1. Pickles and cheese...so much salty briny deliciousness. I LOVE the sound of this!

    ReplyDelete