Monday, March 14, 2011

Eat. Live. Be. How to keep the motivation going


This week ELB bloggers are talking about how they keep motivated as winter drags on and schedules fill up.  I'm not going to lie, it has gotten progressively harder to stay motivated with my health goals, especially with all the stress of pharmacy school.  What has been my solution?  Well, healthier cooking (I know what you are thinking, and no I don't eat EVERYTHING I bake on this blog ;) I give a lot of it away). The second thing I have started doing is set up running dates.  It is exponentially easier to stay motivated when you have a friend, her adorable baby, and an enthusiastic dog waiting for you!  So, in a nut shell:

     - it is very hard to stay motivated, so think outside the box.
       Try something you haven't done yet this year
     - buddy systems are great in pretty much any situation,
        exercise is no exception
     - don't beat yourself up if you aren't right on schedule. Life
        happens, roll with the punches and just keep swimming!

Now, on a foodie note: I have two recipes for you today, a recipe from the America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook (as promised) and a repeat recipe to celebrate pi day, one of two holidays I will be celebrating on the blog this week (hint: the other one involves Guinness, Baileys, and 3 delicious recipes)

First for the healthy recipe:
I made fish this week for Justin and I and I tried mashed sweet potatoes for the first time.  They were so delicious!  I mixed them in my kitchen aid because I don't have a hand masher (on my wish list) and I think they turned out great!
Ingredients:
2 lbs. sweet potatoes peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
1/3 cup of water (I know it doesn't seem like a lot)
1 tsp minced fresh thyme
1 tsp sugar
salt and pepper
6 Tbsp half-and-half, warmed
1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted


Directions:
1. Combine sweet potatoes, water, thyme, sugar, and 1/2 tsp salt in large saucepan. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes fall apart when poked with a fork and all the liquid has been absorbed, 25-30 minutes
2. Mash potatoes until just a few small lumps remain, think add half and half and the butter. Season with S&P to taste and serve!

Nutritional information: (per 2/3c)
calories - 170
fat - 3.5g
saturated fat - 2.5g
cholesterol - 10mg
carbs - 32g
protein - 3g
Fiber - 5g
sodium - 280mg

Source



And now on to pi day!  Pi is a mathematical symbol equal to 3.14. When I was in high school, our Calculus teacher, Mrs. Grimes, would have a pi day celebration on the 14th of March.  We would make t-shirts and have pi eating contests!  It was sooo fun!  Mrs. Grimes inspired my love of math and for that I thank her (especially every MWF when I am sitting in kinetics class). Anyway, I didn't realize until late last night that today was pi day, so I am inserting a picture of a pervious pie I have shared in the past.  This pi is re-post worthy, trust me. So, just click on the picture to see the recipe for this cranberry apple pie


After reading this ridiculously long post, go refill your coffee and check out what my fellow ELB bloggers have going on


Sarah at Cucina Bella
Cate O’Malley at Sweet Nicks
Maris at In Good Taste
Chris at Mele Cotte
Faith at Bon Appetit
Kristen at Dine and Dish
Jenne at stop drop and blog 
Tri-Fit Mom at Tri-Fit Mom
Allison at Sweet Flours
Jen at NJ Epicurean
Jennifer at Lick-a-Plate
Jennifer Schulz at Lick-a-plate
Denise & Lenny at Chez Us

1 comment:

  1. It has gotten harder, hasn't it? But as with most things, I think if we keep pressing on, it will get easier again too.

    ReplyDelete