Monday, February 7, 2011

Super Bowl Cookies

And the winner is.....
Photo by Meg McCluskey
I know it is Eat. Live. Be. day; however, I am postponing that discussion until tomorrow en-light of the Super bowl 45 winners!  This weekend I decided it was time to channel my inner cookie decorator and attempt to make super bowl cookies. The Green Bay cookies turned out much better than the Steelers cookies (SORRY steelers fans).  I didn't realize that the blue, yellow, and red diamonds go all the way to the edge of the logo until I completed the last cookie.  Oops!  Otherwise, it wasn't too bad for my first attempt.  Practice makes perfect, and I have plenty of practice to do, but I was excited to finally attempt the gorgeous cookies I see on Bake at 350 all the time.  The cookie and royal icing recipes are both from her site and let me tell you, those cookies are AMAZING!!!!  I am pretty sure, no I am certain that I will never use another sugar cookie recipe again. Not only do I love almond, but I love that I don't have to let the dough refrigerate for hours (or overnight) before I can bake them.  Five minutes in the freezer and you are ready to go!
Photo by Meg McCluskey
Ingredients for Vanilla-Almond Sugar Cookies
3 c unbleached, all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 c sugar 
 2 sticks (salted) butter, cold
 1 egg
 3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp pure almond extract

Directions
Preheat oven to 350.
Combine the flour and baking powder, set aside. Cream the sugar and butter. Add the egg and extracts and mix. Gradually add the flour mixture and beat just until combined, scraping down the bowl, especially the bottom.
The dough will be crumbly, so knead it together with your hands as you scoop it out of the bowl for rolling. 

Roll onto a floured surface and cut into shapes. Place on parchment lined baking sheets, freeze the cut outs
 on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before baking and then bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.

Ingredients for Royal Icing
4 TBSP meringue powder
scant 1/2 c. water
1 lb. powdered sugar
1/2 - 1 tsp light corn syrup
few drops clear extract (optional)

Directions
I wanted to add this picture to show you what a "scant cup" is

Combine the meringue powder and water. With the paddle attachment of an electric mixer, beat until combined and foamy.
ift in the powdered sugar and beat on low to combine. Bridget of Bake at 350 warned "Do NOT skip the sifting!"  So I did not skip the sifting. 
Add in the corn syrup and extract if desired.
Increase speed to med-high/high and beat for about 5 minutes, just until the icing is glossy and stiff peaks form.
Cover with plastic wrap touching the icing or divide and color using gel paste food colorings.

If you are going to be filling in the cookies or shapes you make within the cookies, you will need flood icing.  To make flood icing add very small amounts of water to the current icing you have and mix with a spatula.  Continue to add water until the frosting is running and makes ribbons when you lift the spatula. The ribbons should sink back into the icing by the count of one-one thousand, two. Does that make sense? I forgot to take a picture of the final consistency, so go here, to see one. 

So to make the Steeler cookies I first outlines them with the gray

Then I filled in the outline with white flood icing

Photo by Meg McCluskey
Finally, I used black, yellow, red, and blue outline icing to finish the logo

For the Packer's cookies
I outlined the cookies in yellow.  Then made the "G" with white outline icing and filled it in with white flood icing.

Photo by Meg McCluskey
Then I used green flood icing to fill in all around the "G" logo

It is definitely not "Bake at 350 worthy," but hopefully with some practice I will eventually get to that level.  Special thanks to Bridget for inspiring my creation!

Recipe Source: Bake at 350

1 comment:

  1. Oh soo cute , super cute cookies for super bowl and i think ur wonderful!
    Im a cookie lover too and Bake @350 sure inspires alot!

    ReplyDelete