Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Southern Fried Chicken



Several months ago, a reader asked if I had a good recipe for Southern Fried Chicken.  Believe it or not, I did not!  However, I felt it was the perfect opportunity to come up with my own southern fried chicken recipe.  Unfortunately, I could not find KFC's secret blend of spices, but I think this chicken comes close. I have a mini deep fryer (thanks to the Balsan family!) which makes this recipe a breeze, but no worries, a frying pan will work just as well.


Before I share my recipe, first lets go over a few tips on making fried chicken:
1. Regardless of what recipe you use, place the chicken pieces in buttermilk overnight, this will hep make them nice and juicy
2. Never use a fork when transferring the chicken, use tongs.  This will prevent juices from needlessly escaping the chicken during cooking and keep it from drying out 
3. Always always use peanut oil for frying, it makes the chicken taste better and has a higher smoking 
temperature (no need for the smoke detector to go off half way through your frying) 
4. Finally, if you have a mini deep fryer definitely use it, but reduce the cook time by half

Ingredients
2 cups of buttermilk (or enough to cover and marinade the chicken)


1 large egg
½ cup milk (2%, skim, whatever works
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning (I actually used Lawry's, but you can use whatever you like)
2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 Tbsp garlic salt
2 teaspoon paprika
2 ½ lbs chicken pieces
Peanut oil 


Directions
Let chicken marinade overnight in buttermilk. Remove the pieces of chicken and place on a paper towel (do not pat dry). Blend the egg with the milk.  Mix the dry ingredients together and dip the chicken in this mixture, then the egg and milk mixture.  Dip the chicken in the dry mixture once more. Fry at 325 degrees for 13-15 minutes on each side or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment