Thursday, February 10, 2011

Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes


After yesterday's post, you are probably thinking to yourself, "Man, I really need a great dessert to go with my Coq au Vin for dinner tonight, but I don't have a ton of time to spend on it."  Whatever shall you do?!?! Well that's easy. You should make molten chocolate lava cakes! Yes you heard me. This special little treats that just make your happy meter go up a few notches just thinking about are so quick and simple that you can make them WHILE you are preparing the Coq au Vin, pop them in the oven as soon as dinner is served, and once dinner is done you will have hot, luscious, melt on your plate not in your hand, personalized lava cakes.
Now, I must tell you. There are two ways to make these cakes.  The easy way and the more delicious way.  I am going to share with you the easy way first because I understand not everybody just LVOES spending tons of time in the kitchen; however, I if you want to try out the more delicious way just read the baker's note at the bottom of this post ;)

Ingredients
4 oz Ghirardelli 60% Cacao chocolate chips 
1/2 cup unsalted butter cut into pieces
2 large whole eggs
2 large egg yolks
1/3 cup granulated white sugar
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup cake flour


Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400. Prepare ramekins by spraying them with pam. Set aside
2. Bring a small pot of water to boil. Place chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl and put it over the boiling water to melt.  Stir continuously to prevent scorching. You can also do this step in the microwave, just melt the chocolate at 20 second increments and stir in between to prevent burning the chocolate.
3. In a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combined whole eggs, egg yolks, vanilla, and sugar whisking together for 5 minutes on medium-high speed. 
4. Reduce speed and fold chocolate mixture and flour into the bowl just until combined.
5. Distribute batter evenly among ramekins. Place in the oven for 10-12 minutes. The centers will still be gooey.*

Baker's Note:
* I recommend you do a test cake first to make sure you have the timing right for the lava deliciousness
** If you want to add an extra step and guarantee a nice rich center follow the directions below:
Before you begin mixing the cake batter place 2 oz of the Ghirardelli 60% cacao and 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream in a heatproof bowl.  Place over a simmer pot of water and stir until melted. (I do not recommend you do this step in the microwave as the milk can quickly scorch and ruin the mixture).  Once the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is combined, place in refrigerator for 15 minutes or until hardened.
Now, after you have prepared the cake mixture and have distributed the mixture between the ramekins, take the ganache mixture out of the refrigerator and form it into 6 small balls. Place on ball in the center of each ramekin.  Bake for 10-12 minutes and enjoy!

Source:

2 comments:

  1. I have to say, I totally always thought that molten lava cakes were super complicated, impossible things. Thanks for proving me wrong! Although...now I'll probably find myself making them constantly. Sigh. My poor thighs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sarah,

    Today feels like a good day to let you know that I'm stalking your blog. I don't know if you will remember me, but we were interns together at Abbott. I was Rebecca (or Becky- can't remember which you knew me as) Wardrip then. Now Rebecca James. Anyways... we're Facebook friends and I stumbled onto your blog from your posts there a while ago and haven't been able to pull myself off it. I keep checking back every day! Just wanted to let you know that there's someone else following you.

    Keep up the fun!
    Rebecca

    P.S. this post is like torture... I'm doing Body for Life now and these cakes are such a no-no... but they look so good and simple! Maybe Valentine's day will be my free day and these will make an appearance!

    ReplyDelete