Thursday, February 17, 2011

Irish Cream Dark Chocolate Mousse

Photo by Meg McCluskey
Ever since Justin and I got back from Ireland, we have loved all things Irish just a little more than we use to. Irish beer, Irish whiskey, Irish breakfast, Irish bread. You name, we love it :)  I'm even wearing green as a write this post! :)
Anyway,  I stumbled upon this recipe for Irish cream chocolate mousse and I knew it was destiny because for Christmas, I got these adorable mini truffle dessert cups.  So obviously, it goes without saying that I just HAD to make this yummy dessert.  I really had no choice in the matter ;)
So, remember how I mentioned that I am horrible about always being one ingredient short?  And my husband always has to run out and get me something to complete dinner or dessert?  Well, this recipe was no different.  I forgot the whipping cream, which is kind of a big deal when you are making a mousse.  So Justin ran out to the store, but they were out of whipping cream.  All they had was half-and-half.  So, I thought to myself, ok I can do this.  I can make whipped cream out of half-and-half.  I'm sure someone has done it before.  So, I go to google and low and behold and wealth of knowledge about making whipped cream from half-and-half.  The best advice I got was to get the milk as col as possible and then whip it on super high speed.  So. that is exactly what I did!  I got nothing. I mean, I got sweet foamy milk, but it was far from whipped cream. So, I succumb to that evil little voice that said "just use store bought whipped cream!"  I know what you're thinking.  Your eye brows are raised and you are reading this post with great skepticism. But ya know what. It tasted sooo good that I can confidently admit my whipped cream defeat and still share with you a delicious recipe ;)

Ingredients
4 oz dark chocolate, chopped (or chips)
3 eggs separated
1 Tbsp Irish Cream Liqueur 
1 cup of whipped cream


Directions
Melt chocolate in a sauce pan over low heat (or in a microwave using 10 second increments). Allow to cool slightly. In a bowl, beat the egg yolks and stir in the melted chocolate and Irish Cream.  Fold in 1/2 cup of the whipped cream.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip the egg whites until stiff.  Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Pour the mousse into serving glasses and garnish with remaining whipped cream. 

Source: Allrecipes

If you want to make your own whipped cream you can follow this recipe:
In the bowl on an electric mixture fitted with a whisk attachment, beat 1 cup of whipping cream until stiff peaks are about to form.  Add in 1 tsp. of vanilla extract and 1 Tbsp. confectioners sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form.  Do Not over beat!

3 comments:

  1. I love mousse and thankfully I have some bailey's at hand to give this a go with! So delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What cute mini truffle cups! ;-) The recipe sounds and looks good! Did Justin ask why you didn't fill them up to the top? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mousse! It's like a chocolatey heaven. Can't wait to make this :)

    ReplyDelete