1. If eating out, ask your server to box half of your dinner to go BEFORE he/she serves the meal. This way you will only eat half of the portion that is given to you right off the bat. I guarantee, unless you ordered a light fish, this will still fill you up and you have lunch for tomorrow!
2. I live to cook with portion sized dishes. I have shared with you the Le Creuset mini cocottes on my four cheese macaroni post cooking or baking in small dishes forces my husband and I to eat only what is in the dish. Another great perk is no leftovers!
3. When I am eating salad, I always dip the salad into the dressing. You will be shocked how much less dressing you need rather than dousing your salad with dressing.
4. Finally, here is a list that puts things into proportion. If you ever find yourself wondering how much of something you should eat, just look at your hand!
- your two hands cupped together = one health portion of veggies
- your fits = one healthy portion of fruits and grains
- your hand cupped = one to two ounces of snack food such as pretzels or nuts
- your palm = 3 ounces of poultry, meat, or fish
- your entire thumb = one ounce of meat or cheese
- your thumb tip = a typical serving size for salad dressing
- your finger tip = a tsp. the amount of sweetener to add to tea or cream to add to coffee
So, next time you are out to eat, or fixing dinner, just let your hand be your guide to making smart portion choices!
Now, hope on over to some of my fellow ELB blogger's sites to see what they have to say about portions
Sarah at Cucina Bella
Cate O’Malley at Sweet Nicks
Maris at In Good Taste
Chris at Mele Cotte
Faith at Bon Appetit
Kristen at Dine and Dish
Emily at The Anderson Crew
Jenne at stop drop and blog
Joanne at Eats Well With Others
Casey at The Starnes Family
Patsy at Friends, Family and Food
Tri-Fit Mom at Tri-Fit Mom
Claire at Cooking is Medicine
Allison at Sweet Flours
Jen at NJ Epicurean
Leslie at The Hungry Housewife
Jennifer at Lick-a-Plate
Rivki at Healthy Eating for Ordinary People
Jennifer Schulz at Lick-a-plate
Denise & Lenny at Chez Us