Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Zuppa Toscana


Tis the season to make soup!  With cold weather and tons of snow heading our way, I thought I would take the opportunity to pull out one of my favorite soup recipes. My husband asked me to make this one week after visiting olive garden and enjoying their Zuppa Toscana.  I love homemade soups, so I had no problems fulfilling his request. This simple, yet classic soup is easy to make.  You can make it a bit healthier by using ground turkey and turkey bacon; however, I am not responsible if it doesn't taste like Olive Garden's soup.
Also, I normally serve fresh homemade bread with my soup, but I will save that recipe for a later post :)

Ingredients:





  • 1 (16 ounce) package smoked sausage
  • 2 potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
  • 3/4 cup chopped onion
  • 6 slices bacon torn into pieces 
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 2 cups kale - washed, dried, and shredded
  • 2 tablespoons chicken soup base
  • 1 quart water
  • 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream



Directions:



  1. Brown ground sausage in a skillet and set aside. 
  2. Place onions and bacon in a large saucepan and cook over medium heat until onions are almost clear.
  3. Add garlic to the onions and cook an additional 1 minute. Add chicken soup base, water, and potatoes, simmer 15 minutes.
  4. Add sausage, kale, and cream. Simmer 4 minutes and serve.

Adapted from Allrecipes


1 comment: