Friday, January 14, 2011

A Souvenir from Ireland

Recipe: Irish Breakfast Tomatoes


During my Christmas break, my husband and I, along with his parents, spent two weeks in Ireland and London.  Needless to say, it was awesome!  One thing my husband and I love to do when traveling is to find unique, off the beaten path, and extraordinarily delicious places to eat.  My husband Loves Anthony Bourdain on the Travel Channel, and we often follow his suggestions on places to eat.  As my father in law put it "Justin is so good at finding this delicious places, it is his quest!"
In Ireland, we stand in the most adorable bed and breakfast called the garnish house. However, it wasn't the "bed" that made this place great, it was most definitely the "breakfast."  My personal favorite was the Bailey's Porridge :)
This recipe was inspired by a dish that my mother-in-law ordered. Not only is it quick and easy to make, it is also very healthy (minus the cheese, but really how much could a sprinkle of cheese hurt you? hehe)


Ingredients

1-2 cups of water
6 medium sized tomatoes (I used from the vine tomatoes)
4 large eggs
1 package of mushrooms (pre sliced quickens the process)
1 tsp olive oil
1 - 1 1/2 tsp. of Lawry's seasoning
mozzarella cheese



Directions

Preheat oven to 350. Fill a square glass baking dish about 1/8th the way full of water (1-2 cups). Cut tops off tomatoes and place in baking dish. Place tomatoes in oven for 10-15 minutes. Tomatoes should still be somewhat firm. 




In the meantime, scramble 4 large eggs and add lawry's seasoning.*  Also, saute mushrooms until soft. When tomatoes are done, remove from oven and core, being careful not to smash tomatoes (I smashed the first one I tried to core, it just takes a little practice!). 



I started by removing the core of the tomato


and then I scooped out the inside, being careful to leave a bit of tomato filling around the edges to help the tomato hold its shape



 Finally, add scrambled eggs, mushrooms, and sprinkle with mozzarella Cheese.  Place bake in dish (emptied of any remaining water) and put back in oven for a couple minutes to allow cheese to melt.  Serve immediately. 


* I often add a bit of water to my eggs when scrambling them in order to make them more fluffy

2 comments:

  1. Love the pic of you and Justin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done stuffed peppers but not stuffed tomatoes. Yum!

    ReplyDelete