Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Peanut Butter Toffee Cookies

Kristen, from Dine and Dish, shared a delicious toffee cookie recipe a few weeks ago.  As soon as my husband saw her blog post he said "ooo, you should make those!"  So, I set out for the store in search of Health English Toffee Bits.  When I got home, I noticed that the recipe on the back of the package was for peanut butter toffee cookies.  Knowing my husband's love for all things peanut butter, I decided to try them out for our small group meeting this evening.
I decided to jazz them up a bit with some drizzle action.  I drizzled some of the cookies with caramel and chocolate, some with just caramel, and I left just a few plain. They were a HUGE hit. Not only with my husband, but everyone at small group loved them.  The next day Justin asked "Do you think you could make those again...today?"  haha.  Definitely a keeper!


Ingredients
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1-1/2 cup baked light brown sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 egg
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp bakng soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 bag health milk chocolate toffee bits


Optional
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup melting chocolate


Directions
1. Heat oven to 375
2. Beat shortening, peanut butter, brown sugar, milk and vanilla in large bowl until well blended. Add egg; beat just until blended. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into peanut butter mixture.  Reserve 1/2 cup of toffee bits. Stir the remaining toffee bits into the batter.
3. Drop by heaping teaspoons about 2 inches apart onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. top each cookie with reserved toffee bits. Bake 7-8 minutes or until set. Cool 2 minutes.
4. While cookies are cooling add 1/4 cup butter to small sauce pan and melt.  Then add brown sugar and whipping cream.  Stir constantly until mixture comes to a boil.  Immediately drizzle cookies. Finally, melt chocolate and drizzle over cookies as well.  Allow drizzle to set.  

2 comments:

  1. I made these cookies last night, and they are "a keeper" just liked you mentioned. The girls at worked loved them, and so did my guys. I did the chocolate drizzle. But near the end, my chocolate bag broke open, and the last few cookies were iced, rather than drizzled with chocolate.....and my son really enjoyed that !! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad everyone enjoyed them! Justin has been begging me to make another batch. I bet dipping them in chocolate would be delicious! I love when "oopsies" turn into "yummy!"

    ReplyDelete