Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A Healthy Recipe for a Change! {asian lettuce wraps}


This year, my holiday resolution is probably the anti-resolution of most US citizens.  I am resolving to become more creative with my cooking and baking.  I hope to be able to follow this resolution through to the end of the year and onward, and I hope you enjoy my future endeavors!

Now, for all of you newly resolved readers, those of you you who make your annual weight loss resolution, I hope you all succeed!  And, I am going to try to help you with that by posting one of the healthiest recipes I ever cook.  Asian lettuce wraps.  The least healthy thing is the ground turkey.  The sauces are all 10 calories or less and I mean how can you go wrong with lettuce!  It is healthy AND has great taste.  Trust me, you will be making this one over and over again.

Ingredients:
1 head of lettuce
1 package (~1lb) ground turkey
2 Tbsp. sesame oil
2 Tbsp. Soy Sauce (reduce sodium is MUCH healthier)
1/4 cup hoisin sauce 
1/2 package of shredded cabbage
1/2 package of shredded carrotts


Directions:


Heat sesame oil in a skillet. Add cabbage and carrot and saute. While the vegetables are cooking, add turkey to another skillet and brown.  Once turkey is browned add soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and vegetable mixture.  let cook on low for 5 minutes.  




While the mixture is cooking. Cut head of lettuce to form "lettuce cups" as shown below.



You will cut the end of the lettuce near the root and then gently peel each layer of lettuce from the body, one by one (this is the hardest part of the recipe.)  It takes a little practice, but just work slowly.




Now, just scoop the mixture into the wraps, wrap, and enjoy!


Cook's notes:


I normally fix this meal with couscous, it complements the wraps nicely and you can even put the couscous in the wraps if you like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment