Monday, January 24, 2011

Eat. Live. Be. My Rise & Shine Challenge


Week 4:  What is your Biggest Health Challenge?
This week for ELB we are talking about our biggest health challenge, but before I begin, I have decided to implement a new format for my ELB posts.  I have also added to my original ELB goals of exercising 5 days a week for 20-30 minutes, and participating in both cardio and strength training.  My latest (and hopefully last goal) is to lose 10lbs.  Now, some of you who know me and see me everyday are probably about to post a comment about how I don't need to lose wait, and how I am being ridiculous (*cough* Katie *cough cough*). However, since being back from our Ireland and London trip, I have noticed my jeans are a bit tighter, my shirts don't fit quite as well, and I have this little bulge above my belt when I sit down. So, I jumped on the scale for the first time in months, and much as I expected I had gained 10-15lbs  Grant it, based on BMI scales I am not overweight; however, if I don't nip it in the bud, I will continue to grow.  Also, I love my jeans and I don't want to buy new ones. So that's that.  
So, from now on at the beginning of each week's post, I am going to post my progress.  So here goes

Weight change: 1.5 lbs lost
Days exercised: 3
Cardio workouts: 2
Strength workouts: 1

On to my biggest health challenge.  This was an easy one for me because it is always the same challenge.  My biggest health challenge for 2011 is finding time 5 days a week to exercise, particularly in the morning like I want.  I don't often work out in the morning because I can't get my butt out of bed; however, if I could conquer this rise and shine challenge I think I would easily be able to meet my 5 days a week goal. Once I am home from school, I have homework to complete, tests to study for, dinner to fix, dishes to wash, you know how it is.  And often times, I find myself saying, "I can either go exercise, or be a better student and keep studying," or "I can either go exercise, or be a better wife and clean up the house a little more."  When that little voice in my head goes off I almost always choose the later option.  It's a guilt thing! But, if I could wake up just 30 minutes early, I could exercise, get ready for school, fix breakfast, and still be on time for class. Heck, I would probably be more awake for class too!  Unfortunately, no matter what I do, I hardly ever manage to get my feet on the floor and my head off the pillow.  Even when I set an alarm the night before, I just can't do it.  I had one friend suggest wearing my workout clothes to bed, that helps a little, but half the time I forget to put on workout clothes instead of pjs when I hop into bed.  Anyway, I think you get the point. I suck at waking up.  
So, this week I am going to try to wake up early 2 times this week and exercise.  I think 3 is asking too much right now, so I will try two. We'll see how it goes.
Ok, now its your turn, what are your biggest health challenges? Is there a certain food that is just too tempting? or are you like me and have problems with the whole exercise issue?  

In conjunction with my ELB post, here is a healthy smoothie recipe to help you meet your health goals too! I think smoothies are a great afternoon snack, or breakfast for that matter. The trick is to add some type of grain to make it more filling.  I used oats in my recipe, but you could substitute oats for bulger, wheat germ, or flax seed depending on your preference. 


Ingredients
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup frozen strawberries
1/4 cup frozen mangos
1/4 cup fresh pineapples
1 banana cut into chunks
1/2 cup yogurt (I used greek)
1/2 tsp vanilla (unless you are using vanilla flavored yogurt
1/2 cup oats 


Directions
Add fruit, milk, yogurt, vanilla, and oats to blender.  Blend on high for a few seconds then pulse on low to thoroughly blend the ingredients.  How easy is that!
And finally, an update on the herb garden:  I have sprouts!
Photo by Meg McCluskey
My chives and basil are looking good.  Unfortunately my mint and parsley (my two favorite herbs) aren't doing anything!  They better pick it up soon!

See what other challenges my fellow ELB bloggers are facing and get some great recipes!



Sarah at Cucina Bella
Cate O’Malley at Sweet Nicks
Maris at In Good Taste
Chris at Mele Cotte
Faith at Bon Appetit
Kristen at Dine and Dish
Jenne at stop drop and blog 
Tri-Fit Mom at Tri-Fit Mom
Allison at Sweet Flours
Jen at NJ Epicurean
Jennifer at Lick-a-Plate
Jennifer Schulz at Lick-a-plate
Denise & Lenny at Chez Us


2 comments:

  1. I feel like you are reading my mind ... I suck at getting up in the morning too. It's all I can do to be up to get my son on the school bus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are ridiculous, but I support you anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete