Monday, January 31, 2011

Eat. Live. Be. My Favorite Healthy Change


Weight Change: gained 0.5 lbs
Days Exercised: 1
Cardio workouts: 1
strength workouts: 1

So, I didn't do so hot this week as far as exercise is concerned; however, I was very conscious of making  healthy food choices, which leads into this weeks Eat. Live. Be. topics, "What is your favorite healthy change."  
Other than the awesome "runner's high" I get when running, my favorite healthy change is breakfast!  Normally, I would always eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast right before I left for school, but it always seemed that I was hungry again by 10am! So then, I would just eat junk from the Health Sciences cafe and my "healthy cherrios breakfast" was null and void.  
So, I decided to start adding some protein and fruit to my breakfast in the form of greek yogurt with fruit and granola.  I got on my greek yogurt kick while we were on vacation in London earlier this month.  I actually had never given greek yogurt a thought before then, but I found myself just craving it every morning!  What's better is that greek yogurt is healthier than regular yogurt in many regards.  
Greek yogurt has less sugar, more protein, and more probiotics!  Less sugar is obviously a good thing, the high protein content is going to make you feel fuller for longer, and probiotics help aid in digestion! 


My personal favorite greek yogurt brands are chobani, both the vanilla and honey flavor, and Dannon-vanilla. So what better recipes to share than homemade greek yogurt and granola?

I haven't yet tried this recipe, but here is a link for making your own homemade greek yogurt!  How cool is that?  All of Lauren's recipes are delicious, and I am sure this one will be no different. 

Granola Ingredients
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup slivered almonds
3/4 cup shredded sweet coconut
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp dark brown sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup dried cranberries
Directions
Preheat oven to 250. In a large bowl combine oats, nuts, coconut and brown sugar. In a separate bowl, combine maple syrup, honey, and salt. Add wet mixture to dry mixture and pour onto two baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to achieve an even color.  Remove and transfer to a large bowl.  Add dried cranberries and mix until evenly distributed. Enjoy!  

Adapt from: Alton Brown

As always, check out my other partners in health!
Sarah at Cucina Bella
Cate O’Malley at Sweet Nicks
Maris at In Good Taste
Chris at Mele Cotte
Faith at Bon Appetit
Kristen at Dine and Dish
Jenne at stop drop and blog 
Tri-Fit Mom at Tri-Fit Mom
Allison at Sweet Flours
Jen at NJ Epicurean
Jennifer at Lick-a-Plate
Jennifer Schulz at Lick-a-plate
Denise & Lenny at Chez Us





  

3 comments:

  1. Mine is walking/running on the treadmill! As of this morning I'm down 13lbs, however, I do have a setback, the storm last week ruined my exercise bike and the TV I watch while pedaling and walking on the treadmill....Hopefully the insurance will cover it! I discovered the problem yesterday when I started to work out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am OBSESSED with greek yogurt. I never thought about making it ... interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband is a HUGE Chobani fan, but I haven't been able to get into Greek yogurt ... heck, I am really not a yogurt fan at all. Anyway, great change! It's amazing how eating the right breakfast can make such a big difference.

    ReplyDelete