Friday, January 21, 2011

Black Magic Cake




Monday night we finally got together with friends to celebrate my husband's 30th birthday!  We went to a delicious local Italian restaurant and had a great time!  I made him this cake, because it is his favorite cake, and is somewhat of a tradition in his family.  When Justin's sister, Chelsie, was born, a neighbor brought over this black magic cake.  It was so well liked by the entire family that it soon became the staple birthday cake in the family.  This was my first time making black magic cake, but it was very simple, and it turned out delicious, as always!  I highly recommend this cake for your next birthday, or maybe just next weekend :)



Ingredients

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup strong brewed coffee cooled
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
Preheat oven to 350. Sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl. Make a well into the dry ingredients and add eggs, coffee, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla.  Mix for 2 minutes.  Prepare to 9 inch round cake pans with parchment paper.  Evenly distribute batter between pans and bake for 35-40 minutes. 



Icing
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cup milk
4 Tbsp cornstarch 
1 tsp vanilla

Cream sugar, butter, and shortening in electric mixer for 10 minutes, scraping sides of bowl often (I scrapped every two minutes). Heat 1 cup of the milk in a sauce pan until hot.  Stir often to avoid scalding. Meanwhile, add cornstarch to the remaining 1/2 cup of milk and stir until smooth.  Once milk is hot, add milk/thickening mixture stirring constantly until mixture is thick and gel like. Allow to cool completely.  Then add thickening and vanilla to creamed mixture and mix until smooth. Ice cake and enjoy! 

5 comments:

  1. Do you use regular sugar or powdered sugar in the icing? The cake looks great! and Happy Birthday to my favorite son in-law!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, I think I will try this for Valentine's Day !! Thank you for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Granulated sugar for the icing.
    This cake would be perfect for valentine's day. I'm still puzzled on what I am going to cook/bake for Vday. Suggestions anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next weekend sounds good to me! My birthday is too far away :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did make this cake for Valentine's Day. It was very good indeed. I love the icing. It reminded me so much of an icing I used in a cookie recipe years and years ago. The cookie was called Gob's. Don't know if you have ever heard of them ?

    ReplyDelete