Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Bacon, Egg, and Chive Croissant


This recipe is not only quick and delicious, but you can do ALL the prep work the night before, so it is perfect for overnight guests!  My husband's best friend is coming to visit this weekend, and I plan to make these lovely little treats for the boys Saturday morning.  Where, you ask did I discovery this deliciousness?  The same place I found my Oreo truffles, my dear friend, Miss Katie.  Thank you Katie! Her mother made them for us when I stayed over one night for a health fair, at first bite I knew I had to have the recipe.  I waited until I fully swallowed the second bite before I asked for it :) Trust me, this will be a go to breakfast recipe to put in your entertaining arsenal. 

Ingredients
8 eggs
1 can of pillsbury croissants
8 slices of bacon
1 package of sharp cheddar cheese
1 oz tub of chive and onion cream cheese

Directions
Scramble eggs and allow to cool*.  Fry bacon and allow to cool. Unroll pillsbury croissants and separate into 8 individual pieces.  To assembly, place croissant piece with wide end closest to you. Spread cream cheese onto wide part of croissant dough, add scrambled eggs, bacon, and top with cheese. 


Lift bottom apexes of triangle and cross them over the stuffing.  Now take the top triangle apex and wrap it around the stuffing. Cook according to package instructions (350 for 11-13 minutes).  As Ina Garten says, "How easy is that!"


Baker's Notes:
* Be sure to let eggs and bacon cool completely or else the dough will get to warm and tear easily. 

In other baking news, I have started an herb garden! I have wanted one for a while not; however, I have been rather hesitant because I was not blessed with the green thumb gene.  Actually, I have the opposite of a green thumb :(  Then one day, my husband and I were in target and I saw a culinary kit, which included basil, chives, and parsley, and they also had a mint kit!  Grow my own mint? Oh yes! Think of all the fresh mojitos I could make!  Though very excited, I was still hesitant, and then my husband said, "well they aren't flowers, so maybe you won't kill them...I hope."  LOL, that was just the little push of semi encouragement I needed.  

I brought them home and began assembly.  The basil, chives, and parsley kit came with 4 "soil pellets."  They were about half the size of a hockey puck, and I had to put them in 3 cups of luke warm water. This was the result:

 

Let it be known that I am very skeptical of soil produced and packaged into small discs for months before being revived with luke warm water, but hey, the directions say the herbs are guaranteed to grow, so I will give it a shot!

I distributed the  soil evenly between the three pots and added my seeds!  The mint kit was a bit different in that a bag of dry soil accompanied it, and I just had to moisten it before adding the seeds.  



I placed my herb garden on our staircase ledge with our Plumeria from Hawaii.  We have a plant light set up there because plumerias are very delicate little flowers it turns out and they needs a lot of sunlight. 


I will keep you updated on my little project. Hopefully I get great results and fresh herbs to cook with year round! My next question is: do the herbs continually grow or will I constantly have to replant to have plentiful herbs?  If I have to replant, I wonder how much of the herbs will be produced per planting?  If you know the answers, please make a comment (note, after you type a comment, either by signing into google, yahoo, or anonymously, you have to scroll back down to the bottom of the page to type in a security code. I have had a few questions about that)!  Otherwise, I will just google it :)

1 comment:

  1. The egg croissant looks very delicious! I think I'll have to try making it.

    Good luck on your herb garden. I would love to start one of my own. You'll have to tell me all the secrets when your's starts to flourish. It's pretty neat that we too had a plumeria from Hawaii, but our dog, Sadie, that we used to have ran over it and broke it in two :( I was so sad!

    ReplyDelete