Monday, December 27, 2010

Spinach Artichoke Dip


Spinach Artichoke dip is one of my all time favorite appetizers.  I mean, what better way to make you feel good about eating your daily required vegetables, than eating them with creamy, cheesy, yummy goodness!  One thing I love about spinach artichoke dip is that their are so many different types!  Think about it. What two restaurants have you been to that serve identical spinach artichoke dip?  They each have their own little twist, and I love that!  However, when I make spinach artichoke dip for guests,  such as when I am hosting a New Year's Eve party, I want it to simple, flavorful, and memorable. So, I have been searching for a recipe to meet a few very specific requirements. My guest worthy deep must: 


- be full of flavor, but not over powered by cheese. I want the cheese to compliment the spinach artichoke flavor, not mask it
- have a nice gooey texture, but not become a stringy mess
- not contain cream cheese
- not contain  mayonaise 


So, with these requirements in mind, I started experimenting with multiple recipes.  I would look online, ask friends and family, and try to duplicate dips from my favorite restaurants.  I finally stumbled upon this beauty, and I have never wavered since.  Considering having it for your New Year's Eve party, or next get together.  I promise people will be asking for the recipe by the end of the night!


Ingredients:








  • 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained
  • 1/3 cup grated Romano cheese
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
  • 1/3 - 1/2 cup heavy cream*
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions:
















Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish (I normally use a pie dish).
In a food processor (or a blender**), place artichoke hearts, Romano cheese, Parmesan cheese and garlic . Pulse until chopped, but not ground. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, mix together spinach, heavy cream, sour cream and mozzarella cheese. Stir in artichoke mixture. Spoon into prepared baking dish.


Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.

Baker's notes:
*If you like your dip gooey like me, use 1/2 cup, if you prefer it a little neater (and drier) use 1/3 cup
** I have never used a blender, so I can't vouch for how it will work


Recipe Adapted from Allrecipes


No comments:

Post a Comment