Monday, November 8, 2010

Pink Ribbon Cupcakes

So, the reason I started this blog in the first place is because I LOVE to make cupcakes. I often bring cupcakes to my pharmacy school friends every Friday after our weekly test.  I received so many comments on them and requests to start a blog that I finally did.  Not so sure how much I love blogging yet, but I have promised myself that I will give it a fair chance.  Anyway, the cupcakes featured here were to celebrate October as breast cancer month and honor all the amazing women who have dealt with the awful disease, including my own family members.  The cupcakes are a simple devils food chocolate cake mix.  The icing recipe is one that has been in my family for years.  My great Aunt Katherine gave me this recipe a few years ago.  She is a pro at decorating cakes and has given me a few tips along the way. She even made my wedding cake using this exact icing :) 
When you make this icing, don't think about all the sugar and fat, just enjoy the deliciousness!  To make the pink swirl in the icing simply apply two strips of pink coloring to your piping bag (one on each side) before you fill it with icing.  I made the pink ribbons out of fondant and I sprinkled each cupcake with pink pearl dust.  Beautiful! 


Aunt Kaddy's Knock Out Icing.

- 1lb bag of powdered sugar
- 1 1/4c of crisco*
-  2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/2c water


Mix all ingredients but the water in a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.  Mix for 3-4 minutes.  Add water and mix until fluffy (another several minutes).

*Note: Do not use any other shortening but crisco.  It will not taste the same or have as nice of a consistency.
Photo by Meg McCluskey

1 comment:

  1. The icing on these cupcakes was extremely good! I love it!

    ReplyDelete