Friday, December 17, 2010

Peppermint Bark

Photo by Meg McCluskey

Finals are over (as of 11am EST). Christmas break is here!!!  WOOHOOO! Ok, just had to get that off my chest. Back to baking :)

I have tried several versions of peppermint bark, but there is always one problem in my eyes: it is way too pepperminty (is that a word?).  Anyway, I know what you are thinking, "Um, hello, its peppermint bark!" And I get that, but peppermint bark should not make you sneeze, and I hate when it gets stuck in the back of your teeth. Come on!

Well, apparently Wilton was thinking the same thing, because they made tasty little peppermint candy melts.  It facilitates all the same greatness of traditional peppermint bark, without the sneezing and the need for a tooth pick!  Perfection!  This is the recipe I used, I thought the peppermint flavor was great, but if you like more peppermint, just add more extract to the dark chocolate, or if you must, go ahead and crumble crushed peppermint on top that bark. Just keep in mind, your dentist won't be happy!

Ingredients:


1 bag (14oz) of light or dark chocolate candy melts (whichever you prefer, I use light)
1 bog (14oz) of peppermint speckled candy melts*
1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
1 tsp. canola oil


Cover baking sheet with wax paper. Melt chocolate candy melt with 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract and 1/2 tsp. canola oil (note you will use another 1/2 tsp for the peppermint candy melts) using a double broiler.** Stir constantly while chocolate is melting. Spread the chocolate onto the prepared baking sheet. Chocolate should not cover entire sheet and should be about 1/8-1/4" in thickness.  Place baking sheet in refrigerator. Next, melt the peppermint speckled candy melts and 1/2 tsp. of canola oil.  Remove baking sheet from refrigerator and spread melted peppermint chocolate over hardened milk chocolate.  Return to refrigerator for 5-10 minutes, until firm.  Break into pieces and enjoy!


Photo by Meg McCluskey






Baker's notes:


* The only place I have been able to find the peppermint candy melts is Michaels.  I couldn't even find them on Wilton's website, which I found odd.  If I find them elsewhere I will update you. 
** My "double broiler" consists of sauce pot filled with water and one of metal mixing bowls or one of my porcelain cereal bowls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment