Monday, December 6, 2010

I LOVE PRETZELS!

Who knew making your very own soft pretzels was so easy?  I had some extra dough left over from my garlic knots and decided that it would be fun to try and make pretzels with them.  I am sure you could use any type of bread dough (I will be testing this again soon and will post more recipes), but I just used my leftovers.  The secret to making soft pretzels is as simple as water + baking soda!



ingredients other than dough:
Cooking spray
10 cups water*
2/3 cup baking soda
1 egg yolk beaten with 1 tbsp. water
Pretzel (or kosher) salt

Directions:
After making the dough of your choice, preheat the oven to 450° F.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and spray lightly with cooking spray.  Bring the water and baking soda to a boil in a large saucepan or stockpot.

Picture
While the water is coming to a boil, divide your dough into equal portions and roll into ~24 inch long ropes.
Picture
Place the ropes in the shape of a U and cross the end over one another and attach to the bottom of the U to make a pretzel shape. I think it must take more practice than just two pretzels :)
Picture
Place one pretzel at a time in the baking soda water for about 30s. The water will bubble as shown :) Once all the pretzels have been boiled, brush the tops with the egg wash and sprinkle lightly with salt. Bake in the preheated oven until dark golden brown, about 12-14 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Adapted from: Annie's Eats

2 comments:

  1. Great Idea! What are you dipping them in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you had to dip them in baking soda first - crazy!

    ReplyDelete