Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Coconut Macaroons


Yesterday, my husband and I decided to go skiing for the first time this season. It was actually the first time in two years for my husband due to past ACL injuries.  Anyway, he told me that it was time to take off the apron and hit the slopes! haha
Even if your holiday time is being taken up by skiing, shopping, gift wrapping, or what have you, there are still some great, simple recipes you can make this Christmas that are sure to be a crowd pleaser. Coconut Macaroons is another one of Martha's recipes that made my list this year.  I love coconut, just as much as I love pumpkin!  I practically became obsessed with coconut on our honeymoon to hawaii, and I even brought back coconut syrup to make my very own coconut pancakes that we enjoyed every morning at our hotel! This recipe is simple, easy, very quick, and only 5 ingredients. All great attributes of any recipe.

Ingredients:


1 Tbsp. sugar
2 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
2 large egg whites
1 teaspoon pur vanilla extract
pinch of salt 


Directions:


Preheat oven to 325. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  In a large bowl, combine sugar, coconut, egg whites, vanilla and salt.  Mix well by hand until all ingredients are combined. Dampen hands with cold water, and working with 1-2Tbsp. at a time form mounds and place them on the prepared baking sheet, spacing them one inch apart. 


Bake until golden brown, 16-17 minutes, rotating halfway through. Let cook on a wire rack.   These macaroons are very delicate, so I wouldn't recommend shipping them; however, they can be stored at room temperature for 3 days. 


Some of my favorites used in this recipe: 



No comments:

Post a Comment