Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Root Beer Pulled Pork and Sweet Potato Fries

Picture
As you all have probably figured out by now, I love to cook and bake. But sometimes life just gets so busy and you don't have time to spend 45-90 minutes in the kitchen preparing a meal.  This is why I absolutely LOVE my slow cooker and whomever invented the slower cooker...genius! This is one of my favorite recipes to make because you can tailor it to your taste and it is soooo easy.


For the pulled pork you simply put 1 pork tenderloin (about 2 lbs) into a slower cooker with a can of root beer.* Cover and cook on low while you are at work (about 6-8 hours).**  By this time the pork will shred easily. Then, drain the pork and add your favorite BBQ sauce (my personal favorite is Sweet Baby Rays). Tada!


Now, for the sweet potato fries: my mother-in-law shared this recipe with me last year. These things are delicious!  Wash your sweet potato and peel (do NOT wash again after peeling).  Cut the potato length wise into the traditional "french fry shape."  Place on a baking sheet and coat with extra virgin olive oil (EVOO). Then, sprinkle the fries with lawry's seasoning. Toss once and sprinkle again.  Bake for 10 minutes, at 350 (or 375, my oven normally runs a little hot), turning the fries once at 5 minutes. The fries should be crisp, but not crunchy.  Enjoy a delicious meal that took you only 15 minutes to make!


* Please, save yourself the disappointment and do NOT use any other type of cola.  Coke, Pepsi, etc. tastes horrible with this recipe.  It's root beer or bust.
** I have the luxury of having a stay at home husband, so I don't worry about the slower cooker being on all day without me home; however, if that worries you, cook the pork overnight and just heat it before serving. 
Picture

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to make this over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made the fries and we loved them!

    ReplyDelete