Friday, November 12, 2010

Cookie Monster Cupcakes

Picture
Photo by Meg McCluskey
C is for cookie monster cupcakes! As I said earlier, I love cupcakes!  These are probably the cutest I have made thus far.  I have a dear friend in pharmacy school who is about 6 months pregnant.  These cupcakes were her request, and a great one at that! I made two forms of the cookie monster cupcakes: with coconut and without coconut.  The coconut cupcakes are by far my favorite, but for whatever reason, some people don't like coconut. Who knew?

These cute little guys are pretty easy to make.  I simply used a white cake mix for the cupcakes and my Aunt Katty's buttercream icing. I died the icing "cookie monster blue" using wilton royal blue food gel, and I did the same with the coconut. Once the cupcakes cooled, I aced them and rolled them in the coconut. Then, I cut a slit about 1/4inch above the cupcake paper and almost to the center of the cupcake. As you can see in the picture, I did not cut the entire width of the cupcake. This made a nice little pouch to place my chips ahoy cookie.
Next, I used black coloring gel to dye 1 tablespoon of fondant and rolled it into 24 little balls.  I took 24 white chocolate wafers and pressed one fondant ball onto each wafer to make cookie monster's eyes.  I then stuck the wafers into the top of the cupcake.*


Aunt Kaddy's Knock Out Icing.

- 1lb bag of powdered sugar
- 1 1/4c of crisco**
-  2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/2c water


Mix all ingredients but the water in a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.  Mix for 3-4 minutes.  Add water and mix until fluffy (another several minutes).

*Note: sometimes it was difficult to get the eyes to stay, so I would pipe a line of icing behind the eyes and then cover it with coconut again to keep the eyes secured.


 **Note: Do not use any other shortening but crisco.  It will not taste the same or have as nice of a consistency. 
Picture
photo by Meg McCluskey

1 comment:

  1. C is for Cookie! and these cupcakes were delicious!!

    ReplyDelete