Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Chocolate Coca Cola Cake

Picture
Photo by Meg McCluskey
  
On Sunday night, my husband stayed up until 1:30 finishing the final chapter of his dissertation proposal.  This is a VERY big deal, and I am VERY VERY proud of all his hard work.  So I decided to make a yummy cake to celebrate!  This is one of my favorite cakes to make.  I also end up using a different frosting each time.  I tried a vanilla buttercream once, but the icing flavor really overpowered the cherry goodness. So, this time I used a chocolate buttercream.  This buttercream was different from many buttercream icings I have used in that past, in that while it was fluffy, it was not stiff until I put it in the refrigerator. I followed the recipe to a T, but maybe it was user error. Nonetheless, it was delicious and I love the cake even more with a yummy Chocolate Frosting.


Chocolate Cherry Coca Cola Cake:
-1 Jar (10oz) Maraschino Cherries, drained 1/4 cup liquid reserved
- 1 box super moist devils food cake mix
- 1 cup cherry cola carbonated beverage
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 24 maraschino cherries with stems for decorating


Preheat oven to 350. Spray two 8inch round cake pans with pam. After reserving 1/4 c of cherry liquid. Drain cherries and chop.  Add cake mix, cola beverage, vegetable oil and eggs to mixer and beat for 2-3 minutes on medium speed until fluffy.  Fold chopped cherries into mixture and divide between two 8 inch round cake pans.  Place in oven for 35-40 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Allow to cool fully before decorating.

Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker

Chocolate buttercream frosting:
Add 1/4c of water and 1c + 2Tbsp to a sauce pot. Bring to boil and allow it to simmer for 7 minutes.
Meanwhile bring 1/2c of egg whites to room temperature (about 5 eggs) (takes about 5 minutes). Whip them in a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on high until stiff peaks form.  Add in the hot sugar syrup mixture and continue mixing on high until bowl is cool to the touch (about 10  minutes). Next, slowly add 3 sticks of unsalted butter, cut into cubes.  Once all butter is added continue to whip until light and fluffy*. Turn mixer on slow speed an add in 1tsp vanilla extract. Finally, melt 8-10oz of semisweet Chocolate and fold it into the icing.  You can whip on low speed to ensure it is thoroughly mixed.


*Note: the original recipe said to reduce mixer to low speed when icing "started to jump out at you" that never happened to me so I just reduced to low once it was nice and fluffy. 


Recipe adapted from "Little Cakes from the Whimsical Bakehouse" cookbook. 
Picture

1 comment:

  1. This was possibly one of the best cakes I've ever eaten. haha. It was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete