Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Butterfly Event

So, I am back from my blogging hiatus.  I took two weeks off: one due to a crazy school schedule and the other because of the cruise I went on with my husband and parents.  Anyway, before I left for the cruise, I made butterfly cupcakes.  I absolutely could NOT wait to make these cupcakes and it was a lot of fun.  However, when I went to take the pictures of my beautiful creations (which I had strategically placed on a cupcake stand) my cat jumped up by the stand, became scared when everyone started yelling and moving toward him, leaped over the cupcakes...nearly...and they all came crashing down. Some also went flying through the air and ended up stuck to my walls.  I was not happy to say the least. The three cupcakes that are featured are the only three that were not involved in the disaster.  I found this beautiful creation in the book "Hello Cupcake" which my best friend, Char, gave me for my birthday.  The book features Monarch butterflies, but I decided to due a variety of colors.  Here are the supplies you will need:






Supplies
Wax paper
Plastic baggies
Dark cocoa candy melts
Colored candy melts (whatever color you would like the wings to be)
Toothpicks
White nonpareils (optional, I liked the butterflies better without them)
1 batch of vanilla cupcakes
1 batch of Aunt Kaddy's Icing*  (die icing whatever color you would like your "flowers" to be)

Wilton petal baking cups (optional, but a very cute touch)
Chocolate chips








First prepare your cupcakes. If you are using the petal baking cups, I found it easiest to fill 
them outside the baking tin (up to the first slit in the paper) and then place them in the baking
tin). They rise to the perfect level to ice!


Next, I made a copy of the following pattern out of 'Hello Cupcake.' Cute 12 squares of wax
paper. Place your dark chocolate and colored chocolates into individual bags. Do NOT seal 
the bags. Place them in the microwave and heat in 10s increments, massaging the bags in 
between until the chocolate has melted. Be careful not to burn the chocolate.

Next, cut a very small amount of one corner of each bag (if you cut it too big you will not be 
able to make your butterflies accurately). Start by placing your outline and wax paper on a
 baking sheet and outline one butterfly wing. You can go over the outline twice to make
 thicker wings. Next, fill the wings with your colored candies. Use a toothpick to spread the
 colored candy. Then, place the tooth pick in the wing outline and drag into the center of the
 wing to make a swirlaffect. Finally, tap the tray a few times to smooth all the chocolate.
 Repeat with the next wing! If you are using the white perils, place them on the tops or 
bottoms of the wings after tapping the tray to smooth the chocolate.

Next, place one chocolate chip on each side of your cupcake to help stabilize your wings. 
Place your wings on the cupcake and secure your antenna. Finally, pipe a small amount of 
dark chocolate in blobs to serve as the butterfly's body. Tada!


A picture of my cousin Natalie enjoying her butterfly cupcake :)










4 comments:

  1. I love the petal baking cups! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha...yeah a friend of mine bought them for me ;) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the butterflies are my favorite, so far! Peppers, too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've tried those, too! Not as easy as it looks. But I really adore those Wilton flower cuppycake liners. The frosting looks great in them!

    Here's some pics from my attempt:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/murraymelissak/3691471986/in/set-72157614011089521/

    ReplyDelete